Thread: CamStudio/Game issues?

CamStudio/Game issues?

I have come to receive enlightenment... Aka: Help me please? I am currently running CamStudio with a headset microphone on Windows 7, and I am having a few problems with the video recording.

Games that run in a non-fullscreen window, such as internet games or basic windows games like solitaire, seem to record properly and I can adjust the size of the recording area just fine. But games that run full screen(and no matter what I do, won't switch to a smaller window) record in weird ways, and it seems that the games I want to LP all act this way. The first game I tried was SimPark, and although I could see the game, when I looked at the recording, all it could see was a black screen, a mouse, and occasional button captions. I fooled around with the settings and only managed to make the game run or record with weird inverted colors.

The second game I tried was World of Goo, which would show the game, but it acted like the game was only playing in part of the screen. If you want to watch the video to see the full horror, the link is in my profile and I apologize for using Youtube (because it was the only thing I knew before joining here and I was testing my upload ability among other things) and from what I've read you guys don't really like it. But in case you don't want to watch the video, which you probably don't and I understand because it is not an attractive video, I am providing easy reference pictures because it is really hard to describe.

When I play, what I see is the fullscreen game:
    When I record, in full screen mode or in the choose your own capture area mode, I see this(the black space changes size depending on the size of my recording area):
    It also flickers a bit and records the mouse as visible when in the game it is not. I have sound issues too, but I am looking at the sound help topic already and am going to try those suggestions, because my recorded volume is super low and the game volume is virtually non-existent despite the live volume being absurdly loud.

I have played with the settings, frame rate, quality, and recording area in CamStudio and I have changed the window type, compatibility modes, and size ratio in the game preferences, but no luck fixing the issue. I suspect the problems are coming from the games mostly, but there has to be a way to fix it. I find it annoying to have the video look that way and I am sure it is annoying to watch, so any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Edit: And I don't know why my posts have a little black dot on the icon, so if I am accidentally labeling them as pinned or something, I apologize. I am unfamiliar with these icons and I am not sure if that just means it is a thread I started.

Re: CamStudio/Game issues?

For the screen part issue, it's probably because you're using fullscreen recording with the resolution of your DESKTOP. If you run a game, it will change the resolution of the screen. By how much, you can check in the options menu of the game, but it's usually 800x600 or 1024x768 for older non-HD games.
    That's how I fixed that issue anyway.
    For the other things, no clue. But most recording software have a built-in cursor recording part which you can either turn on or off, this may fix the mouse issue.

So instead of changing the resolution of my computer or the game, I need to change the resolution in CamStudio? I didn't know I could do that, so I am off to try it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AdjustYourVolumePls
    So instead of changing the resolution of my computer or the game, I need to change the resolution in CamStudio? I didn't know I could do that, so I am off to try it. Thanks!
    You can change the resolution of your PC and game however the heck you'd like, just make sure it matches Camstudio's recording region if you want the whole screen recorded.
    Also, another makeshift option is "cropping" the video, aka slicing off the black bars with an editing software like VirtualDub. That way you won't have to discard your old videos.

Okay, I played around with my resolution a few times before I got something that fit in the CamStudio full screen. However, reducing my resolution that much caused a lot of pixelation and color lagging in the recording. I think my only option to get the right size without sacrificing quality is to crop the black section like you suggested. I am going to attempt to do that with Windows Movie Maker because I already have that, but I don't know if it crops, so we'll see. On a successful note, I managed to make the cursor invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by AdjustYourVolumePls
    Windows Movie Maker because I already have that, but I don't know if it crops, so we'll see. On a successful note, I managed to make the cursor invisible!
    I use Windows Movie Maker, but it's really basic. It only provides a few features and Cropping is very definitely not one of them.

Go get VirtualDub and google 'Cropping Videos With VirtualDub' and you'll be on the right track.

I thought there was a topic around here explaining it, but I couldn't find it.

I'll finish this LP eventually. Honest.

Also, my YouTube channel and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Nietzsche
    "We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us."

I suggest using Hypercam 2 (now with no watermark) instead of CamStudio.
    World of Goo has a file somewhere where you can tweek the resolution and possibly window settings. You'll know you've found it when you find a message from the High Resolution Sign Painter.
    Give this a try and list any issues you still have afterward.
    Damn bugs on my lawn. Better get my gun... - Let's Play Jet Force Gemini

Okay, I found the file and changed the resolution for World of Goo and it seems to be working, and I tested hypercam and managed to record Silver Surfer without any issues. But when I try to record another game the graphics, which look fine while playing and recording, get very jagged and low quality in the play back. Is that just a characteristic of recording or is there something I can do to fix that?

This is likely your recording codec's fault. We recommend using a lossless codec such as Lagarith or the newer and less tested UT Video (8.1.0) (Doom9 thread, links to 7.0.1). Your final video will be large, but the quality should be perfect.
    If the quality is not perfect, then it's not Hypercam's fault. Try testing with FRAPS (unregistered is okay, cracked versions have issues) and see if that fixes it.
    Damn bugs on my lawn. Better get my gun... - Let's Play Jet Force Gemini